To assist the public as thoroughly and promptly as possible in requests for the Shreveport-Caddo Metropolitan Planning Commission’s, or MPC’s, documents and information.
Public Records Policy
- Article 12, Section 3 in the Louisiana Open Meetings Law states “No person shall be denied the right to observe the deliberations of public bodies and examine public documents, except in cases established by law.”
- A Public Records Request is a request from the public for any document, device or item which documents the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures and operations of the office, subject to certain exemptions under state and federal law.
- The MPC is not required to perform research, but will assist requestors with finding documentation that may have the information they are seeking. MPC staff will explain what documents are available and what form (electronic, printed copy, etc) they are in. Requests need to be focused and specific.
- The MPC will permit prompt inspection of public records and provide copies of such records within a reasonable period of time. If the requested records need to be retrieved, assembled, or reviewed prior to release, the MPC will inform the requester and give an approximate time when such records will be available.
- Records of the MPC may be inspected Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The cost for copies of records is $0.10 per page. There is no cost for records sent by email. The cost for computer files downloaded to an electronic storage device, such as a USB, is $10.00 per device.
Requesting Public Records
- Anyone can request public records and a purpose does not need to be stated. There are no restrictions on what can be done with the public documents once a records requester has them in hand.
- The custodian of the records for the MPC must respond to requests within three days.
- Request should identify the records requested with sufficient clarity to allow the public office to identify the requested records. There is no specific language or form required.
- Request for public records may be made in writing via by email or letter.
- Request for public records of the MPC should be directed to Ms. Emily trant